No, I agree. I’ve been terrible about posting on time recently. Sorry. Yay work. Yay life.
Anyway, I’ve been making more donuts. This time, I made one that was apparently inspired by the Chunky Monkey ice cream flavor of Ben and Jerry’s fame. Mostly because I was looking into getting rid of some very ripe bananas and I always make banana bread. Oh, also because I was looking up what I could do with whole wheat pastry flour, as I have a bunch.
The recipe I found was for “healthy” donuts. “Healthy” in that she subbed out a lot of the “unhealthy” ingredients with stuff that’s reputed to be healthier, like coconut oil and coconut milk. I…can’t support that at all. You’re making DONUTS. They’re not supposed to be healthy or even healthier. Yes, I’m baking these, but not so much because I’m against donuts being fried as I am against deep-frying in a home setting. It’s so much work and inefficient. Baking is easier.
Anyway, I modified her recipe that I was no longer using these “healthy” substitutions. Also, because I don’t like coconut.
- 115g AP flour
- 115g whole wheat pastry flour
- 15g buttermilk powder
- 75g granulated sugar
- 1tsp baking powder
- 0.5tsp baking soda
- 0.5tsp salt
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.25tsp ground nutmeg
- 0.33c vegetable oil
- 0.67c water
- 1.5tsp vanilla extract
- 1c mashed bananas
- Preheat oven to 350deg F.
- Prep donut pan(s).
- In a large bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Portion batter into donut wells.
- Bake for 26min.
- Cool completely before glazing.
- Use 0.67c of buttermilk if you have it instead of the buttermilk powder and water. I keep buttermilk powder on hand because it’s easier to bake with and has a longer shelf life.
- We glazed the donuts with a soy milk ganache again. Same as last time. Because it’s super easy to make. And then we sprinkled toasted chopped walnuts over the donuts while the glaze was still wet.
One of them had an accident…
- The texture of these donuts were…very cakey. Maybe too much so. It was much more like eating cake in donut shape. It was a bit off-putting.
- There surprisingly wasn’t much by way of banana flavor. It was kind of sad. It was supposed to be like Chunky Monkey, yet it was completely lacking in banana flavor.
- I had one of the girls help me make the donut pans this time. We found that she has an exceptionally long thumb, even if it doesn’t look like it. We did not have any issues with muffin-y shaped donuts this time.
- I probably won’t make these again and will move on to exploring other donut recipes.